Windows 2012 new feature data deduplication is a must use feature , the data deduplication works by eliminating the duplication of data in a Volume through a background task running with low-priority that processes files on the volume to segments all file data on the volume into small, variable sized chunks (32 to 128 KB). it identifies chunks that have one or more duplicates on the volume.
All duplicate chunks are then replaced (erased from disk) with a reference to a single copy of that chunk. Finally, all remaining chunks are compressed so that even more disk space is saved.
Data deduplication is an evaluation to MS single-instance storage that used in different pervious OS and applications like Exchange 2000/2003.
I Use Windows 2012 server on my laptop where my drive D: had 129 GB free space after enabling the Data deduplication feature my free space become 218 GB , saving me additional 89 GB.
You should consider using deduplication for the following areas:
- File shares. This includes group content publication or sharing, user home folders, and profile redirection (offline files). You may be able to save approximately 30–50 percent disk space.
- Software deployment shares. This includes software binaries, images, and updates. You may be able to save approximately 70–80 percent space.
- Virtual hard disk (VHD) libraries. This includes VHD file storage for provisioning to hypervisors. You may be able to save approximately 80–95 percent space.
Volume Requirements for Data Deduplication :
- Volumes must not be a system or boot volume. Deduplication is not supported on volumes where the operating system is installed.
- Volumes may be partitioned by using master boot record (MBR) or GUID partition table (GPT) format, and must be formatted by using the NTFS file system. The new Resilient File System (ReFS) file system is not supported for use on a data deduplication volume.
- Volumes must be exposed to Windows as non-removable drives, that is, no USB or floppy drives.
- Volumes can be on shared storage, such as a Fibre Channel or Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) array, or an iSCSI storage area network (SAN).
- Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) volumes are not supported.
Enabling and configuring Data Deduplication :
- use the Server Manager , click Add roles and features , expand File And Storage Services (Installed), expand File and iSCSI Services, click Data Deduplication check box to install the Data Deduplication
- configure Data Deduplication using Server Manager, in the navigation pane, click File and Storage Services In the File and Storage Services pane, click Volumes.
- In the Volumes pane, right-click the drive letter of your disk and then in the drop-down list, select Configure Data Deduplication.
- In the Allfiles Deduplication Settings dialog box, select the Enable data deduplication the check box, in the Deduplicate files older than (in days) box, type number of data for not used files to deduplicate , and then click Set Deduplication Schedule to set when to the schedule and run the service.