When trying to add your HP P2000 G3/ iscsi storage to SCVMM 2012 as storage provider and after you install the certificate you will get an error message “ storage discovery of provider https://your-storage-controller-ip-Address at TCP 5989 for user P2000user failed from “ YOUR SCVMM HOST NAME” with error code SSL failure failed: common name is invalid. “
First update you controller firmware to the latest version mine was TS240R037 the new version is TS240P001 using HP site
So here is the steps to reproduce the error.
1. Open SCVMM on fabric view , right storage provider , and select add storage provider
2. Type in your-storage-controller-ip-Address:5989 , leave the use secure socket layer (SSL) connection check box , in the run as account select your P2000 Run as account that has a manage permission on your Storage and click next.
3. after a while a pop screen will inform you that certificate need to be installed , click import
4. SCVMM will try to add the storage provide and soon you get the error message
“ storage discovery of provider https://your-storage-controller-ip-Address at TCP 5989 for user P2000user failed from “ YOUR SCVMM HOST NAME” with error code SSL failure failed: common name is invalid. “
5. when you try the same operation again the same error will pop up again even if you disabled CN verification for the storage provider certificate as per MS Tech Article you still get this error
6.To over come this problem and connect your P2000 to you SCVMM you need to drop the usage of SSL .
7.First you need to configure your P2000 storage to accept unencrypted SMI-S connections , open your browser on your P2000 management IP , select Configuration—> services –> management
8. in The configure management services , select the unencrypted radio button under Storage management Institute specifications (SMI-S) and click apply.
NOTE form HP docs: This option allows SMI-S clients to communicate with each controller’s embedded SMI-S provider via HTTPS port 5989. HTTPS port 5989 and HTTP port 5988 cannot be enabled at the same time, so enabling this option will disable port 5988. This is enabled by default.
9. wait until change are applied and try again to add the provider , only this time use port 5988 and clear the use secure socket layer (SSL) connection check box , in the run as account select your P2000 Run as account and click next.
10. anther problem that I have seen Is that my P2000 had a DNS record and a got this error message , so I removed the DNS recorded.
11. SCVMM should discover your P2000 Storage Now click next
2. Select the VDISKs that will be used by SCVMM and create a storage classification or select from the existing one if you already have created them and click next.
in the summary screen Click finish.
Note : in this configuration my SCVMM have see only the Fiber connection , it didn’t see the iscsi provider. I couldn’t find any documentation about this at HP site but I will keep looking.
The Problem of Certificate is due to subject name of the Certificate at the SMI-S provider of the P2000, it has a Subject name of certified-desktops and their is no way to replace this certificate at least I couldn’t find it.